Makes 6 servings, Nutrition Info Per Serving: 120 calories, 12g net carbs, 6g fat, 2g Protein 48% FAT / 44% PROTEIN / 8% CARBS
- 4 lbs onions, halved and sliced into thick pieces
- 3 tbsp butter, cut into 3 pieces
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup cooking sherry
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups beef broth
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme, tied with twine
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F, position the rack to lower-middle position. Spray the inside of a dutch oven well with cooking spray. Add onions, butter, and 1 tsp salt. Cook covered for 1 hour. Remove from oven and stir onions, scraping bottom and sides of pot. Return pot to oven with lid slightly ajar and cook for 90 minutes more.
- Remove pot from oven and place over medium-high heat. Cook onions, stirring frequently and scraping bottom and sides of pot until onions are very dark brown. Scrape any brown bits that collect on spoon back into the onions.
- Stir in sherry and stir frequently until sherry evaporates.
- Stir in 2 cups water, chicken broth, beef broth, thyme sprigs, bay leaf, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Increase heat to high and bring to simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove and discard herbs and season with salt and pepper to taste.
I am not a medical or nutritional professional. I am sharing my own recipes and experiences on this website. Nothing I express here should be taken as medical advise and you should consult with your doctor before starting any diet program. The nutritional information I provide for my recipes, food journals, and meal plans are a courtesy to my readers. I calculate using the USDA website and package information, I do my best to be as accurate as possible but you should calculate nutritional information on your own before relying on them. I expressly disclaim any liability of any kind with respect to any act or omission wholly or in part in reliance on anything contained in this website.