A versatile stew, use different cuts of meat; pork, veal, lamb, venison, or a combination.
- 4 oz. pancetta or bacon, roughly chopped
- 2 italian sausage links, sliced
- 1 1/2 lbs chuck roast, cut into cubes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 pounds fresh sauerkraut, from the refrigerated section
- 1 oz dried porcini mushrooms, soaked, liquid reserved
- 1/2 tsp caraway seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp granulated Swerve
- 1/2 cup red wine
Makes 6 servings, Nutrition Info Per Serving: 579 calories, 41g fat, 33g protein, 6g net carbs 70% FAT / 25% PROTEIN / 5% CARB
- Heat a large pot with a tight fitting-lidding lid or a Dutch oven over a medium-high heat. Add the pancetta and cook, stirring occasionally, until most the fat is rendered, about 10 minutes. Add the sausage and beef and brown about 10 minutes. Remove the pancetta, sausage and beef with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Lower the heat to medium and cook the onion in the fat, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the sauerkraut, mushrooms, mushroom liquid, caraway seeds, pepper and Swerve. Stir to combine and add just enough water to barely cover. Cover, turn the heat to low, and let bubble gently for 15 minutes.
- Return the meat to the pan and add the wine. Cover and let bubble gently until the meat is tender, about an hour. Serve hot or cool to room temperature and refrigerate.
I am not a medical or nutritional professional. I am sharing my own recipes and experiences on this website. Nothing I express here should be taken as medical advise and you should consult with your doctor before starting any diet program. The nutritional information I provide for my recipes, food journals, and meal plans are a courtesy to my readers. I calculate using the USDA website and package information, I do my best to be as accurate as possible but you should calculate nutritional information on your own before relying on them. I expressly disclaim any liability of any kind with respect to any act or omission wholly or in part in reliance on anything contained in this website.